Sunday 15 April 2012

2012 Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Series Sydney

This race would be my last Triathlon of the season, so I was hoping to get out there and smash it up. Raced this last year and unfortunately had a crash on the bike about 5km into the cycle leg, although got up and kept going, still managing to have a awesome race. Went up on Saturday for registration and bike racking, and to watch the Elite men and women race. Both of these races were great to watch and it was good to see Erin Densham come out on top in the women's race.
Looking forward to my second Olympic distance race of my career, I entered the OPENS category as it was the first wave off and there was a good bunch of athletes in this category. Race start was at 6:30 Sunday morning so an early night was in order for sure.

Fairly calm morning, light breeze and a small field of only 16 males in the OPEN category. Good start in the swim was up there with the front guys to turn around first buoy, which the pace then slowed off a bit to settle in to the 1500m swim. Felt pretty good in the swim came out of the water in 5th position. I was having a solid ride until half way in the second lap I got pinned for being cut off going around corner and having no option but to overtake on the left hand side of the rider, which I then had to spend 3min in the Penalty Box before I was able complete the last lap, very frustrating times in a non-drafting event, even riding without a TT bike. Time was up and got back on the course to smash the last lap of the ride. Came off the bike in 11th spot and was not happy at all, went out onto the run hoping I could run down some of the athletes who had passed me while I was stopped. Felt really good in the run, kept a solid pace throughout and was able to run myself into 7th spot by the end of the run.

Overall it was a good race placed 7th in the Opens Category with a time of 2:06:07, if I had not been pinned time would have been at least 4min faster but that happens.

Photos to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment