Sunday 26 January 2014

Changes of plans for Australia Day

Normally every other Australia Day I would compete in the Illawarra Aquathon but after hearing reports of high levels of pollution from a sewage outlet in the Harbour I was not willing to take the risk as I have more important races in the following weeks. Instead I travelled up to Sydney to compete in the BSC Great Sydney Swim, a 2.2km open water swim in Sydney Harbour. This was my first time at this event and the conditions today were far from good, arrived to 16°C overcast and rain, water temperature sitting around 20°C with no wetsuit, it was going to be cold. I was off in the Elite wave at 0940 and was definitely not getting in for a warm up, some dry land work and that was about it.

Standing on the pontoon, freezing, and I hadn't even got in the water. We were expecting a start in the next minute or two but the official said there is still a 10min wait to let previous waves get ahead more, with a little bit of complaining from the competitors we were getting in the water ready to start in three minutes (a lot better than 10minutes). The start was fast but calm as there was only 20 athletes in this wave, through the swim I felt strong but was off the back of the main group. The conditions were very choppy and some currents running but maintained good lines and finished 15th overall for the day.

I now have 2 weeks of solid training before I head down to Elwood, VIC for the first major triathlon race for the season, the Elite Oceania Cup.

Below a photo from Kurnell last weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment